Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Knitting Tools I LOVE #2

I was at John Bead (huge wholesale bead supplier) the other day and while wandering around the clearance bins, I found something I have been looking for for a long time - a Magnetic Board.

It is about the size of a piece of letter sized paper and comes with both a little 6 inch mag ruler and a black piece of magnet that is about the same length and 1/2 inch wide. They both hold 1 page well - haven't tried it with a book yet but its size would slip right into a knitting book without distorting the chart or hurting the book (like that extremely expensive Scottish Collection that you are looking at on eBay - you know the one - starting price is 250.00 with a 350.00 buy it now - don't do it - I only paid 200.00 for mine!)

I tried it out right away and am fantastically delighted at how much easier it is to read a chart when you can stick a magnetic line under the one you are working on. It makes knitting in 2 colours so much faster and easier to follow.

I LOVE IT!

And it cost 2.00!

I think my next step will be to get a larger one and try it out on some of the larger charts from Alice Starmore's Fair Isles - like Henry VIII that I am signed up to do for Yarn Harlot's Knitting Olympics. Why oh why did I sign up for that one - I am not even sure if I have all the colours of yarn that I need. Jagger Yarns HEATHER is what I plan to use so much swatching is required in the very near future.

Results to follow.

Au revoir

2 Comments:

At 9:10 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

The board you describe sounds like something cross stitchers use. I am using mine to keep track of a pattern for a lace shawl. You can purchase the magnetic strips separately so you can have one long enough to use for an entire row. It comes in a roll an you cut to the desired length. I can't remember if I purchased this at the hardware store or craft store.

 
At 1:22 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have said book by "you know who" and I only paid 50 bucks for it (when it first came out). So there! (tee hee-I wonder how much it will be worth in years to come???)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home