Sunday, July 22, 2007

Plants that should come with a warning label

My HP-less weekend turned out well for the garden as I spent most of my time digging, pruning and more digging and pruning.

Years ago, I planted a Euonymous - purple winter creeper is the common name - don't know the last part of the latin name - to grow up one of the brick porch columns. It sounded like a good idea at the time and it very politely clung nicely to the brick without support and even did a little horizontal ground covering in a spot that is quite dry and was (operative word .. was) bare.

In recent years it has not only creeped but has leaped - all over the front garden. It roots everywhere it touches ground and sends multiple shoots off in all directions, each of which roots again. It shoots underground and under rocks, around corners and through anything in its path. Result?

BIG MESS.

It has even grown up and through a cedar and the dogwood (Cornus Mas) that the city planted about 14 years ago. I have avoided it and ignored it and it has not taken offence but rather has taken off - everywhere. I filled 2 big bags and 2 plastic bins with it and have barely made a dent in it.

Warning label needed there !

The other plant that should sport a warning label is even worse. It leaps over short houses in a single bound and shows no mercy whatsoever. Its only redeeming feature is its fall colour - which is stunning.

The varmints name..... VIRGINIA CREEPER

My neighbour TWO doors up (that is north) planted it several years ago to cover up an ugly fence. Ever since then, I have been digging it out of my back garden, pulling it out of the eaves and pulling it off the fence on the SOUTH side of my garden.

Today was the limit. I found some on the south side of my FRONT garden.

How the heck did it get there????? It was even competing successfully with the first plant varmint and had I not pulled it I am sure it would have taken over the front - perhaps saving me from digging up the Purple Wintercreeper

Duel to the death - Purple Wintercreeper vs Virginia Creeper.

Word to the wise. If it says "creeper" on the label..... avoid. Or buy some good pruners.

No knitting on MS3 but I did start a sock in a yarn that Ainslie sent me for my birthday. Lovely rich merino, blended and spun by Janet and Tracey at Wilton Road Fibre Mill (they spin the Romney Sock for Chris English and me). Gorgeous colours and a lovely soft tweedy effect which I am knitting in my generic reversible rib (Round 1 is K3, P3. Round 2 is K1, P1 - multiple of 6 stitches) on 66 stitches. I will post a picture (and the promised MS3 pic too)

7 Comments:

At 9:38 a.m., Blogger Deb said...

You should see the store Jan has set up! way cool. Really nice merino and sea silk, too!

 
At 5:16 p.m., Blogger Deb said...

Oh dear God- I just put in a Virginia creeper up this really ugly chain link fence-should I rip it out now???????

 
At 7:20 p.m., Blogger Robyn - Red Bird Knits said...

Keep a really close watch on it and don't ever let it root anywhere but at the main stem and you may survive the Virginia Creeps.

 
At 8:13 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whack it back before it sets berries. I managed to rid most of my garden of rampant Virginia Creeper over 4-5 years by brutally pruning anything that looked like it could form fruit. I was able to limit it to one very ugly fence where it looked great.

 
At 8:18 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whack the Virginia Creeper back to the ground before it sets berries. (I have used a chainsaw, propane torch and a machete) It will grow back! But it won't spread so rampantly throughout the garden.

 
At 6:33 p.m., Blogger Deb said...

Congrats on being featured in Vogue Knitting's "Made in Canada" Well done!!!!! (and about time, too)

 
At 10:18 p.m., Blogger Knitting Therapy said...

Congratulation! I just was your sock in Vogue!!! Best wishes with this publicity.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home