Wednesday, March 01, 2006

I am FIVE

Well not me but Red Bird Knits turns 5 today. My but time flies when you are having fun!

At the ripe old age of 50, I decided that 25 years of working for someone else was plenty. Since the other half of my years had been spent studying it seemed like a nice symmetry to start a business to take me through the 3rd quarter of my life (Yes I plan to live to 100)

After long deliberation and finding great help from Mihalyi Czikczentmihalyi (if that is even close to the right spelling I am satisfied) and his book "Finding Flow" (Sally Melville talks about him too in her Knit Stitch book) as well as a romp through "What Colour is Your Parachute" (there may not be a "u" in colour - I think the book is from the US), I narrowed my choices down to 3 - music, gardening and knitting.

I've played the cello since I was 8 and possibilities included teaching (somewhat hard to get into), performing (very hard to get into) and further study (no thanks - not on the scale (pun intended) required) so that idea was discarded.

I was in the process of becoming a Master Gardener at that time and had almost finished the course requirements and was closing in on the 2 year apprenticeship but gardening is so seasonal and I don't do too well in the heat plus Landscape Architecture was another 3 at least years of study that option was discarded too.

Aren't you glad that knitting won the race! I sure am. I designed my first sock (Cobblestone) while I was still working for someone else and that was the springboard for my business. Regia self patterning yarns were just hitting the market and when I couldn't find the Regia Ringels that were being talked about on the lists ( I had joined Knitlist and Socknitters list by then), I went out searching for a source and the rest is history.

I now have more than 50 sock patterns of which I have sold 3300 to date and I am now into my 4th year with my Sock of the Month Club. What a ride it has been.

Oh by the way I am having a sale to celebrate but then I am trying not to be sales oriented on the blog - go to my website if you haven't already and you can get the details there.

3 Comments:

At 4:44 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

I, for one, am very gla dthat knitting has won-and I am sure so is anyone who has met you. Congratulations on 5!

 
At 5:10 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm also extremely glad that knitting won the race! I'm very happy to have discovered your store and your blog, and wish you many more happy and productive years.

 
At 8:34 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

So glad to hear you are a musician. Classical? With a few years on you, I too, am into music. Classical organist which competes with my knitting.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home