Thursday, May 03, 2007

Arthur is fine

Thanks for the comments and good wishes for Arthur. The Doc called and said he was doing just fine and came through the anaesthetic and the procedure well. All being well we can bring his goldieness home tomorrow.

Kauni (not) Cardigan is now about 8 inches and growing nicely. The simple pattern with lots of plain rows between the squares makes it a good project for the somewhat distracted (me)

I have been watching Bleak House on PBS's Masterpiece Theater(re) and got a copy of the book out of the library. I have read a few Dicken's novels - Great Expectations, David Copperfield, Old Curiosity Shop, Little Dorrit (my favourite) and Oliver Twist. I used to pick one to read during summer breaks at University (Queen's and then U of T) but haven't read any for years. My attention has been focussed on Jane Austen instead and I have worked my way through all of her books in the last couple of summers and have re-read Pride and Prejudice, Sense and Sensibility and Persuasion (my favourite) a few times each.

So Dickens it is this summer. Picture me outside in a Muskoka (Adirondack) chair reading such beautiful English.

"Smoke lowering down from the chimney-pots, making a soft black drizzle, with flakes of soot in it as big as full-grown snow-flakes - gone into mourning, one might imagine, for the death of the sun"

and that is from the very first paragraph!

So much more to come

1 Comments:

At 9:22 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

So great to discover another literature lover! I read Bleak House several years ago, and just re-reading that first sentence makes me want to read it all over again--all thousand some-odd pages of it. I've also been itching to read some Henry James. Sadly, I find it difficult to balance knitting time, reading time, gym time, and spouse time and do justice to any of them. The older you get, it seems there are fewer and fewer hours in the day for the things you truly love.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home