Monday, November 10, 2008

Newest SoTM

Some times a design in my head spills right out onto the needles and takes no time at all to get to a point where it works for me.

Novembers didn't come easily though.

This was in my head:

Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening

Whose woods these are I think I know.
His house is in the village though;
He will not see me stopping here
To watch his woods fill up with snow.

My little horse must think it queer
To stop without a farmhouse near
Between the woods and frozen lake
The darkest evening of the year.

He gives his harness bells a shake
To ask if there is some mistake.
The only other sound's the sweep
Of easy wind and downy flake.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.

It is by Robert Frost and a favourite poem - one of the few I can still recite parts of!

This is what it turned into:

In lovely Fortissima/Socka - a great sock yarn in some classic and not so classic colours.

This was the green I used in Holly Berry from a few years ago (that time with red and cream). it is a great green - lighter than loden but not too grassy or kelly green.

And through the magic of Photoshop, these are the other colours it will ship in

Red:
Lilac:


And turquoise:


A happy Snowy sock.

It took me 4 tries to get it right. My first go was too large and there was no coherence in the pattern. I ripped it out quickly so as not to leave any evidence behind.

The 2nd version worked better but there was too much cream in it and I would have had to ship 2 balls of cream instead of 1 with the colour (making it more expensive than I wanted this months to be - last month's was the most expensive of any kit I have done so far ($33.00) ).

The 3rd was almost there but the highlight stitch that is where the line of checkerboards along the ankle sits now wasn't carrying its weight well enough so I changed it to the checkerboards.

Took a bit of doing but I am happy with the result. I hope you like it too!

4 Comments:

At 11:49 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was worth all the work - Beautiful pattern!
and I have to tell you - you outdid yourself on Latvian Dances - I just finished the cuff...what a gorgeous pair of socks these are going to be!

 
At 10:19 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

One of your finest designs, and that's saying something. I'm so glad I'm in the club. Bravo!

 
At 2:01 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful sock, Robyn!

 
At 7:46 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lovely sock Robyn, I'm really enjoying your colourwork socks, I just wish there was more time to knit. Istanbul is on my feet right now.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home